A couple of spare moments meant I could download the latest WordPress 2.0.1 version and upgrade.
After a complete site link check I found I had feed problems due to my permalink structure, as well as one or two other annoyances – like stale links throughout the blog. All are now rectified and with any luck there won’t be any more upgrades for a bit.
Now that I have completely developed my own theme, upgrading is much easier – from the date modified attribute on the new theme files I can tell which of my theme files to update also.
After several hours of hair-tearing, WordPress 2.0 is now installed with a new Siblog theme … a major overhaul with much CSS tweaking, which has tidied up the layout. I’ve introduced a permalink structure via .htaccess which may improve search engine visibility.
All seems to be running satisfactorily thus far though doubtless the tweaks will continue for a while.
Download the latest WordPress 2.0 here.
I visited the WordPress site and grabbed the latest update. Installed 1.51 with no issues at all in about 2 minutes flat. Next time I change the look of the Sibagraphics site, I’ll develop my own blog theme. Using themes makes updating even less hassle.
No problems updating the Siblog to WordPress 1.5 …. I managed to retain all mods with no problem. With any luck the spammers will be frustrated further.
While I was at it, I’ve updated Sibagraphics and client forums … slightly more complex but very worthwhile. I’ve also implemented some considerable css compression by (1) converting all hex colours to shorthand names eg. #003366 becomes #036, and (2) including line-height sizes in font styles eg. font: italic bold .75em/1.2em verdana, sans-serif.
After disallowing comments for some time because of the pernicious spam comments requiring perpetual moderation, I’m trialling the hack at http://www.liberty.org
Thus, this is an experimental thread.
Successfully upgraded to WordPress 1.2.1 with no issues discovered as yet.
Registered for WordPress Top Sites … they say not to alter the code, but if one doesn’t it spoils my page validation. Successfully altered their code to XHTML with a completed alt tag with no ill effects.
So far seems amazingly easy. Next stage is site integration.